The Lanka Challenge – Northern Route 2017
Explore the wild, northern territory of Sri Lanka.
Less travelled but no less exhilarating, our Lanka Challenge Northern Route will take you all the way up to the history-rich Jaffna and back down to beautiful beachside Trincomalee, and sometimes even further down the East Coast. Along the way, countless incredible landscapes will be thrust upon your face, and you’ll probably struggle to compute the severity of the serenity of it all. Best take a camera, then.
Once you’ve decided to take on the Lanka Challenge (a decision we assume you made fix or six sentences ago) the next decision is to decide whether you want to embark on the Original Lanka Challenge or the No Frills version. The inclusions on each of the trips vary, which is reflected in the respective price points.
20th to 29th April 2017
1000 km travelled (approx.)
9 nights (includes 1 camping night)
10 days (includes 1 rest day)
10 – 20 teams
30 – 55 challengers
We hire the tuk-tuks from local drivers. We arrange all of your accommodation (optional). We ensure a big chunk of your entry fee goes towards helping local communities. All you have to do is turn up, get in and drive the damned things. You won’t find another adventure like it.
|1||Training Day||Minuwangoda||Tamarind Tree Hotel|
|2||160||Alankuda||Dolphin & Bar Reef Hotels|
|3||160||Giant's Tank||Camping-National park|
|4||112||Jaffna||Lux Etoile Hotel|
|5||220||Nilaveli||Pigeon Island Hotel|
|6||Rest||Nilaveli||Pigeon Island Hotel|
|9||103||Negambo||Goldi Sands Hotel|
* Route subject to change.
Tell me more
- Training and driving lessons on arrival day.
- Hire and use of 1 genuine, ready-to-roll Tuk Tuk for the duration of the Challenge. Third party liability insurance included.
- Challenge logistics & legal stuff (mechanics, ambulance, support team, permits, luggage truck).
- Welcome pack (sim card and phone, map, t-shirt, event bag, phrase-book, navigational sheets).
- Emergency & Medical travel insurance for the duration of the Challenge.
- 10 % contribution to our Meaningful Travel projects including school visits.
- Awards ceremony & farewell party.
- Accommodation for 2 or 3 people (9 nights) in double, twin or triple rooms. Camping gear also provided.
- Half Board – 9 delicious locally-made breakfasts and dinners at hotels and campsites.
No Frills version
- Camping for 2 or 3 people (1 night) in double or triple tent. Camping gear also provided.
- Half Board – 1 delicious locally-made breakfast and dinner at campsite.
- Flights, visas, airport transfers.
- Tuk Tuk spare parts and repairs (approx. total $40-120 per team).
- Fuel (approx. total $100 per team).
- Day to day costs (approx. $30 per day for lunch and drinks).
- Tuk Tuk Pimpin.
Entry Fee – Original
Team of 2 or 3 people
USD $1,640 per person (team of 3)
USD $2,450 per person (team of 2)
Entry Fee – No Frills
Team of 2 or 3 people
USD $1,300 per person (team of 3)
USD $1,950 per person (team of 2)
- Only USD $499 / £ 333 initial deposit required to signup.
- Outstanding amount is only required 90 days before the start of Challenge.
- Payments can be made via Reg Online, Paypal or bank transfer.