Lanka Challenge – Northern Route
Explore the wild, northern territory of Sri Lanka on a rickshaw.
Less travelled but no less exhilarating, our Lanka Challenge Northern Route will take you all the way up to the history-rich Jaffna and back down to beautiful beachside Trincomalee, and sometimes even further down the East Coast of Sri Lanka. Along the way, countless incredible landscapes will be thrust upon your face, and you’ll probably struggle to compute the severity of the serenity of it all. Best take a camera, then.
Questions you will be forced to ask yourself during the Lanka Challenge rickshaw adventure include: Who’s going to go and get a photo of that crocodile? Who’s going to get us invited to a local’s place for lunch? Who’s going to take one for the team in the chilli-eating challenge? What day is it? And where did I put my Imodium? One hell of an amazing time is guaranteed. Life-changing experiences are probable. Navigational stupidity is optional.
Northern Route Details
1000 km travelled (approx.)
9 nights (includes 1 camping night)
10 days (includes 1 rest day)
10 – 20 teams
30 – 55 challengers
We hire the rickshaws from local drivers. We arrange all of your accommodation. We ensure a big chunk of your entry fee goes towards helping local communities. All you have to do is turn up, get in and drive the damned things. You won’t find another adventure like it.
|1||Training Day||Minuwangoda||Tamarind Tree Hotel|
|2||160||Alankuda||Dolphin & Bar Reef Hotels|
|3||160||Giant's Tank||Camping-National park|
|4||112||Jaffna||Lux Etoile Hotel|
|5||220||Nilaveli||Pigeon Island Hotel|
|6||Rest||Nilaveli||Pigeon Island Hotel|
|9||103||Negambo||Goldi Sands Hotel|
* Route subject to change.
Tell me more
- Training and driving lessons on arrival day.
- Hire and use of 1 genuine, ready-to-roll Tuk Tuk for the duration of the Challenge. Third party liability insurance included.
- Accommodation for 2 or 3 people (9 nights) in double, twin or triple rooms. Camping gear also provided.
- Half Board – 9 delicious locally-made breakfasts and dinners at hotels and campsites.
- Challenge logistics & legal stuff (mechanics, ambulance, support team, permits, luggage truck).
- Welcome pack (sim card and phone, map, t-shirt, event bag, phrase-book, navigational sheets).
- Emergency & Medical travel insurance for the duration of the Challenge.
- 10 % contribution to our Meaningful Travel projects including school visits.
- Awards ceremony & farewell party.
- Flights, visas, airport transfers.
- Tuk Tuk spare parts and repairs (approx. total $40-120 per team).
- Fuel (approx. total $100 per team).
- Day to day costs (approx. $30 per day for lunch and drinks).
- Tuk Tuk Pimpin.
20th to 29th
Team of 2 or 3 people
USD $1,740 per person (team of 3)
USD $2,550 per person (team of 2)
19th to 28th
Team of 2 or 3 people
USD $1,840 per person (team of 3)
USD $2,650 per person (team of 2)
Early bird discount 10% off
- Only USD$499 / £333 initial deposit required to signup.
- Outstanding amount is only required 90 days before the start of Challenge.